Saturday, August 22, 2026

The Light of Stars is a Slow Burn Romance

 


Jenelle Hovde is a new-to-me author. Her writing has a beautiful lyrical cadence that reminds me of author Laura Frantz.  I may have fallen in love with the cover before I read the back cover. The fastest way to get me to add a book to my online cart is marriage of convenience or arranged marriage trope. 

The Light of the Stars is not your typical Regency era romance. It goes deeper than that and explores the political, social, and historical time period and it's written in 1st person dual POV. I thought it was unique that Jenelle put quotes or Bible verses before each chapter. I was inspired to write a few of them down to commit them to memory. 

Katherine 'Kitty' Grenville is an unconventional heroine. She is educated and her hobbies include reading, stargazing and studying the stars. 

Sebastian Sinclair is drawn to Kitty's spirit and intellect. He's torn between duty to his family and a desire to make a difference in the world. Together he and Kitty must navigate whether a marriage born of obligation can turn into love. 

The author does a good job at building a slow burn romance between Kitty and Sebastian. At times, the pacing of the story was a little slow and I would have preferred to have seen them married sooner in the story and establish their romance from there.

The theme of God's plan even though hidden at times He is always working in our lives. 

I'd rate The Light of Stars as 4 out of 5 stars. My reason being the pacing of the story was too slow for my preferences, and I would have liked the marriage of convenience/arranged marriage between Kitty and Sebastian to have happened sooner.  The ending while satisfactory was rushed. If you are looking for a Regency romance that has adventure, hope and faith check out The Light of Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment