Thursday, February 1, 2024

Of Love and Treason is a Moving Debut


 Debut author Jamie Ogle's Of Love and Treason is an emotional and moving read. One I won't soon forget. To be honest, I'm still trying to process my feelings and emotions after reading the last page. 

Years ago, I remember my violin teacher Mrs. Klotz giving us a one-page sheet on the origins of Valentine's Day and the story stayed with me all these years. A man named Valentine who doesn't agree with the emperor's marriage ban continues to marry couples in secret.  He's arrested for treason and ends up falling in love with the jailor's blind daughter, he prays for her, and her sight is restored. Before his execution, he left a love letter for her that was signed from your Valentine.  The origins of Valentine's Day is tragically romantic.  Nowadays Valentine's Day is so commercialized I don't think people even know or give a thought to how it began. When I saw that Of Love and Treason was an origin story of February 14th, I knew I had to read it! 
 
One aspect of this story that I appreciated was how passionate and steadfast Valentine and the other Christians were in their faith. It made me want to have the same zeal and fervor for the Lord. I also loved how despite the dangers of being in Christian in 3rd century Rome they still boldly proclaimed Christ and the gospel to others. 

Ms. Ogle's question and thread throughout Of Love and Treason was will we trust Him even when things don't turn out the way we want? And this was so exceptionally and beautifully told. When I really love a book it's sometimes hard for me to put into words my reasons why. 

I was cheering when I got to a certain scene on page 301, and I shed some tears in the last couple of chapters of this book. I don't want to give any spoilers, but if you read Of Love and Treason, I would love to hear your thoughts on that certain scene on page 301 : ) 

If you've read and loved Francine River's Mark of the Lion series, you need to put Of Love and Treason on your list. This book is definitely on my 'to keep' shelf. All I can say is Jamie Ogle please write faster because I can't wait to read your other books. 

Reading is an Adventure,

Emilee


~~I purchased a paperback copy of  Of Love and Treason from Baker Book House in order to review. In no way has this influenced my review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.~~

No comments:

Post a Comment