Tuesday, February 13, 2024

The Year of Goodbyes and Hellos is Powerful and Emotional


    The Year of Goodbyes and Hellos needs to come with a PSA label that you are going to need lots of Kleenex. Also, don't read this story in public if you're prone to waterworks, aka crying. I was crying by chapter two and ugly crying the last few chapters. That being said, I'm so glad I picked this book up on a friend's recommendation and read it. 

Oncologist Kristine Tremaine has built a reputation for being one of the best cancer doctors in Texas. When her older sister Sherri Reynolds is diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she pours all her knowledge into helping her sister.

The bond between the sisters was my favorite part of the story. I loved how they quoted from favorite movies and had this us against the world mentality. It reminded me of how powerful the connection we can have with our brothers and sisters. Siblings see you at your best and worst, but they still love you and sometimes know you better than you know yourself. A quote I read about the relationship we have with our siblings summed it up. " Siblings are like branches of a tree. We grow in different directions, yet our roots remain as one." 

The theme of the book was how do you hold onto your faith when your prayers seem to go unanswered? This book just made me reflect on my trials in a different light. Although we may not know why God brings various tribulations in our lives, He will never give us more than we can bear, and God is good! 

Having lost loved ones to cancer, I feel like the author took every emotion I ever had about losing friends and family and put it into this story.  The Year of Goodbyes and Hellos was such a cathartic book for me to read. So much so, that I had some trouble moving on to read other books. 

Thank you so much Kelly Irvin for penning this beautiful story of family, loss, and forgiveness. 

Reading is an adventure,

Emilee

 

No comments:

Post a Comment