Monday, September 9, 2024

My Phony Valentine...A Sweet Romance for anytime of year


It might seem a little odd to read a story set in the winter around Valentine's Day in the summer, but I fully ascribe to the belief that a good story can be read any time of year. 

A friend of mine recommended author Courtney Walsh's My Phony Valentine, which is a part of her new A Holidays with Hart Romance series and I'm so glad I picked this book up. 

I'm a little late to the hockey romance craze sweeping the 21st century rom com reads in both the Christian fiction and secular market. To be honest, I may have poo-pooed 'hockey romances' as somewhat predictable and cliche. I'm here to tell you...I was wrong. After closing the book on My Phony Valentine I want to veer off into all the hockey romances. For the record, I still know precious little about the sport, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a good story. 

Chef Poppy Hart days are spent worrying about her farm-to-table restaurant, her mountain of debt and healing from heartbreak. I loved how Poppy was always genuinely herself not feeling the need to put on a facade and pretend to be someone she wasn't. This was such a refreshing characteristic and a good reminder to always be yourself. The right people will love you for you. Poppy is kind, hard-working, and enjoys cooking for people.  

I loved the close-knit bond that she shares with her parents and sisters, Raya and Eloise. Sidenote: I can't wait to read Eloise's story in My Lucky Charm. Also, is the older sister Raya getting her own story? Inquiring minds want to know. 

Hockey player Dallas Burke is trying to change the negative image the media has of him. Known for his bad-boy reputation and brash attitude on and off the ice, Dallas is tired of being seen as nothing more than a troublemaker. Pretending to be Poppy's "fake boyfriend" might just benefit them both more than they anticipated. 

One thing I loved about My Phony Valentine was how there was no drama just a sweet story that you wanted to escape into. The older I get the less I like unnecessary melodrama in my stories. 

I liked the dual points of view in My Phony Valentine. You get Poppy's perspective and Dallas' view giving you a broader depth and insight into the characters. 

The message of not believing everything you read about someone is a good reminder and needed in today's social media age. Poppy can see beyond the media's view of Dallas and see the real Dallas Burke. It just reminded me to not take things at face value but get to know someone before you form an opinion.

Author Courtney Walsh peppers My Phony Valentine with so many wonderful and humorous side characters you can't help but be drawn into the story. Dallas' grandma is a hoot, and she has some of the best lines. 

If you love stories about handsome hockey players, fake romance and some heart-melting PDA you need to add My Phony Valentine to your TBR pile.

Reading is an adventure,

Emilee


No comments:

Post a Comment