Monday, August 5, 2024

Julia Monroe Begins Again: Contemporary Romance, An Impressive Debut


I’ve seen my bookworm friends rave about this book on social media for months. Confession: I’m not usually a fan of cartoon cover art. But the title and premise intrigued me enough to "temporarily" set aside my dislike of illustrated covers

Debut author Rebekah Millet's novel, Julia Monroe Begins Again is a heartwarming story of second chances and forgiveness. I found Rebekah's writing to be witty, sharp, and engaging. Her clever use of pop culture references added humor and relatability to the story. Her author's voice was fresh and delightful. 

For widow Julia Monroe turning 40 opens up a new chapter in her life after the last decade of being a single parent and empty nest syndrome with her two boys off at college. 

Samuel Reed, former Green Beret and the man who shattered her heart twenty years ago is back in town and attending her church. 

Rebekah does a great job of "will-they-won't they" get together scenarios. And realistically, Julia has trust issues and is reluctant to date Samuel after having her heart broken the first time around. She wrestles with the question of if God does a work in someone can they truly change? 

One aspect, I appreciated was how the main characters attend church, but also volunteered their time and gifts to the church's outreach ministries. Also, I liked they she showed some of their struggles in their walks of faith. I felt like Julia and Samuel were striving purposely not perfectly to walk the walk and talk the talk. 

Reading about a heroine my own age was interesting and refreshing. If I was to rank Rebekah's debut novel, I'd give it 4 stars for the innovative writing, but ultimately knock off half a star (3 1/2 stars) because I felt one of the heroine's issues in the book dragged on a little too long for my taste. 

Rebekah Millet is a brand-new voice in the contemporary romantic Christan fiction, and I look forward to reading more books by her. Have you read this book? What did you think of the heroine’s journey? I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Reading is an Advanture,

Emilee 




No comments:

Post a Comment